Prof. Dr. phil. Dr. h.c. Rolf Arnold
held the Chair of Education, in particular Vocational and Adult Education, at the TU Kaiserslautern from 1990 to 2019
Rolf Arnold, born in 1952, is Professor of Education at the University of Kaiserslautern.
After studying education, especially adult education and vocational education, he initially worked as a research assistant in higher education for three years. In 1983, he completed his doctorate at the University of Heidelberg. From 1984 to 1989 he worked in an international adult education institution, where he was responsible in particular for the further training of technical and managerial staff of vocational training institutions in developing countries. His regional focus was on Central and South American countries, where he conducted numerous conferences and training programmes as well as studies. In 1987 he was awarded his habilitation by the Department of Education and Social Sciences at the Fern-Universität Hagen, and in 1990 he was appointed to the University of Kaiserslautern. Rolf Arnold is scientific director of the Distance Independent Studies Center (DISC) at the TU Kaiserslautern and spokesperson for the Virtual Campus Rhineland-Palatinate (VCRP). In 2002, he was offered a professorship at the University of Tübingen (declined). In 2017, he received an honorary doctorate from the Universitatea de Vest in Timisoara (Romania).
His book and journal publications cover the fields of adult education, vocational training, constructivism and international human resource development.
His research focuses on adult education, school-based vocational education and training, in-company training and further education, teaching-learning system development (e.g. distance learning), intercultural vocational education and emotional learning.
In 2017, he received an honorary doctorate (Dr. h. c.) from the Universitatea de Vest in Timisoara (Romania). He has been a senior professor at TU Kaiserslautern since 2019.
- Since 2019 Senior Professor at the TU Kaiserslautern
- 2017 Dr. h. c. Timisoara (Romania)
- since 2014 Member of the scientific advisory board of the journal Tendencias Pedagogicas
- since 1990 Member of the Rhineland-Palatinate State Advisory Council for Continuing Education
- Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Institute for Continuing Education and Counselling (IFB) in Speyer until 2009 and
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Carl-Auer-Verlag publishing house
- Chairman of the Board of the German Institute for Adult Education (DIE) in Bonn (until 2011)
- Member of the Innovation Circle on Continuing Education of the BMBF
- Since 1992, development and management of the Centre for Distance and University Continuing Education at the Technical University of Kaiserslautern, since 2007, Scientific Director of the Distance and Independent Studies Center (DISC)
Among others, projects on interpretive and emotional learning in adult education, systemic pedagogy, learning culture change, system development in vocational education, emotional competence, e-learning.
- Pedagogical constructivism
- Self-learning competence
- Virtualisation of courses
- Quality assurance and school development
- Systemics of leadership
- Introduction to General Pedagogy
- Basics of adult education
- Pedagogical interaction from a systemic-constructivist perspective
- Educational theory: Leadership and intervention in pedagogical processes
- Reading course: Systemic pedagogy
In addition, seminars on selected chapters of pedagogy, e.g. humanistic pedagogy, emotional learning, systemics.